Wednesday, November 12, 2008

While I let my nails dry...

How can I best describe the neighborhood that I live in for those who don't...live...in here. Here.

The picture in the title box of my blog is actually a picture from my neighborhood, Lincoln Square.
The fountain with the pretty water is a five-minute walk from my walk-up. I can go and sit there and watch people eating pastries, playing with children, selling baked goods for Obama (pre-election), parking their bikes.

A lot of people ride bikes in my neighborhood, so the bikes pictured in the...picture...is realistic.

If this picture was a wide-angle shot, you would see a brand new condominium building erected in this neighborhood of two-story, small businesses. It made me sad to see this building grow, especially since there is a surplus of new condos in Chicago in general. People aren't asking for them, yet they are being built.

East of this picture are several blocks of cute Victorian homes, some of them divided into apartments, but most of them housing young families. I like being in a community of young families, and I especially like the idea that I teach several of the children of these young families. I like being involved in the community I live in. This is an often foreign concept in Los Angeles, where my "community involvement" meant I had a membership at the local Blockbuster.

I live across the street from a coffee shop and Thai Restaurant, and down the street from a sandwich shop, Italian Beef stand, bar avec food, and an un-yucky Chinese restaurant. Starve, I will never.

1 comment:

Ercon said...

Hmm.. is that an invitation for friends and fam to ck out your neighborhood? :) Maybe your nieces?

Sounds like you love this neigborhood way more than the last one. We'll have to make our way out there soon but pref when its not freezing!