One of the blessed perks of my dayjob as an assistant teacher is that I get to leave work and go home at 3 P.M. - a good hour before rush-hour, before the mean-people get out. The main advantage is that I usually have time to make dinner and take a nap before I have to leave in the evening for whatever rehearsal is on the schedule.
Unless I have errands.
Today I have to head downtown to pick up some headshot proofs. Should be very exciting, afterall, what is not to like about looking at pictures of me? (please please sense the irony in my bloggy voice). But errands are difficult. My job takes it out of me. Physically and mentally, I'm on alert all day, surrounded by munchkin voices and hands and boo-boos and "I needs" - so come 3 P.M., I need to shut down completely. Or I might kill you. You stranger on the street, you traffic cop you, you reflection of a bus driver in a side-mirror.
My solution is to bribe myself - "If I do this, then I can have an ice cream. A book. Take-out dinner. I can lie down and watch reruns for hours and feel no guilt. If I can just get through one more crowd, one more stop-light, I will...I will...I will not implode. I will be a better person. I will be an adult. I will not shirk my duties for one more day."
What shall be my reward today?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment