Saturday, February 20, 2010

previews

Last night was our second preview of punkplay.  It is going swimmingly well - every piece of the puzzle is falling into place, we've all cracked our characters open, and the audiences love it.  Both previews were almost sold out, and our opening night on February 28th is SOLD OUT!!

I was in my dressing room getting ready for the show - smudging on kohl eyeliner and bright red lipstick and topsticking my bikini on ("topstick" is double-sided tape that helps keep your clothes on in the event that....things go wrong onstage and the clothes fall off) I feel like I'm getting ready to play the emcee in cabaret or some kind of macabre Las Vegas revue and it makes me laugh to look in the mirror.  My character dresses the way I wish I had the cahones to dress when I was in high school - ripped fishnet stockings, pleated plaid skirt and layered torn t-shirts, and of course, roller skates.  Last night I chose La Boheme as my "getting ready" music on my iPod; I felt like I needed something operatic and epic in scope and so here I am, putting on makeup and topstick and listening to opera on my headphones and I feel incredibly lucky to be doing what I'm doing.  When I was twelve I said that this is what I want to do and it's seventeen years later and I'm still doing it.  In the bestest of cities with the bestest of people and this SHOW is so awesome!  When I'm backstage my adrenaline is pumping and my legs start vibrating and all I can think is "get me on that stage get me on that stage right now I need to go go go" and we get on stage and it's all play.  Don't get me wrong - we did a lot of work to get to the play but now it's about finding the soft spot, letting go and letting the audience in.

Here's a cheesy video I took backstage of one of my characters: "Ines".   Check out that wig.  I've always wanted red pigtails.

1 comment:

Ercon said...

Congrats on previews and sold out opener!! woohoo. I like your ines look. it reminds me of the gal in 'run lol run' for some reason :)