Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Devil's Dictionary

ARIES (March 21-April 19): In “The Devil's Dictionary,” Ambrose Bierce defines history as follows: "an account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools." Bear that in mind as you interpret what I mean by the following: You won't make history in the coming weeks. Instead, you will help generate an interesting and important story that will involve unfamous people who have little political power or military skill but have a great deal of potent grace and nuanced strength and soulful intelligence. - NewCityChicago.com

As I bump about the internet this morning, I notice this about myself: I like to listen, more than I like to watch. Not that I don't like to watch, I think I just absorb information better aurally.

Interesting, isn't it? That I like to listen to radio stories more than I like to watch movies. Movies use images, while radio shows, obviously, use words and sound effects. Case in point, I clicked on an interview of Gretchen Rubin, whose book,
The Happiness Project, I am currently reading. As she began to speak, I opened up a separate tab to check my bank balance. Multi-tasker? Yes, maybe. But also I sometimes get distracted by the faces of people as they are talking. Like in college, I would always look down at my notebook and doodle while the teacher lectured. If I looked at the teacher, then I would start daydreaming.

No comments: