
I'm on Day 15, I think, of the 29-day gift-giving challenge. It's going well. Like drinking one very refreshing glass of water a day. Even though you need six to eight. But at least drinking one makes you feel like you're closer to that goal.
Some gifts have been tiny. Some medium. I don't know about large, that depends on other's reactions. One day I decorated our paper-tree in the classroom with paper-lights that the kids water-colored. I wanted to complete this project before my co-worker returned from her Florida vacation as a sort of "Surprise! You don't have to do it!" kind of gift. But then as I stapled silver, gold and green curling ribbon to the tattered paper branches, I realized that the tree looked less Christmas-y and more...birthday-like. Definitely more pinata than yule. So...I won't be surprised if my co-worker re-decorates said tree with popcorn and snowflakes. But right now, I love my non-traditional winter birthday tree, because afterall, Jesus probably liked pinatas. He likes the minorities.
Today I donated a couple buckaroos to the "This American Life" podcast to help pay for the bandwidth that keeps me occupied in my non-cable state. I've learned so much from you Ira Glass. Thank you.
One of my favorite gifts so far, as inpired by guerrilla warfare and flashmobs: I had a meeting at a coffee-shop and after the meeting was done, I taped a thank-you note to the table. For some "I don't know whoever sits here next" to discover. The note said, "You did good today. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise."
Giving is about listening, and about changing the direction of your energy and focus. And it doesn't take much to give you a giggle.
No comments:
Post a Comment