Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Moral ineptitude.

I was babysitting the girls today, and we were walking back to their house (my future home) when we ran into their neighbor/one of the moms from school, walking her dog.  She lives about two houses down (did I mention that many children live on this street, many of whom I have taught?). 

I shared the news about Thanh and I moving in and she said,
 "Oh, boy.  I'm gonna have to explain that to the girls.  They're gonna be like, 'Ms. McBride is living with a boy?!!!  And they're not married??!!!"

And then I smiled.  What do I say, when I work at a Catholic school, and the kids are now your neighbors, and not only are they freaked out about seeing me out of context (they stare when they bump into me at the library or market), but they'll be puzzled about my living situation which goes against morals they are currently being taught?  I say nothing.  I pet the dog.  I talk about the block party. I go inside and think about the many myths that will be woven amongst the neighborhood children about their teacher, right there in that house, living with that BOY. 

Did I mention this block has a block party?  Huge.  The day after I move in.  Like, four hundred people. 

Another comment from another mom who lives at the end of the block (she's super-cool she teaches her kids to compost with worms):

"Wow our kids are gonna be so much better behaved with you living here.  They're gonna be freaked out that they'll get in trouble!" 

Can you imagine?  If I put them in time-out?  On my porch? 

No comments: