Friday, May 14, 2010

What are you reading, Tanya?

I'm reading this:

A Keeper of Bees: Notes on Hive and Home, by Allison Wallace.

It's a personal narrative - an around-the-bend autobiography of sorts, as reflected in the life-cycle, as well as the care and feeding of bees.  It's my summer book.  During the summer I like to read autobiographies by women that are philosophical in nature and have something to do with growing things.  Last year it was Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. 

I found this one on the "just-returned" shelf at the library.  It's interesting what you find on the "just-returned" shelf.  How to build a log cabin.  A guide to adoption.  Elmo's autobiography (no joke).  I like to peruse and see what kind of people come to the library and anticipate that someone has my same interests and will cut my "searching for that perfect book" work in half. 

If I wrote a personal narrative that was a philosophical, rear-view mirror type of book (i.e. "Let me tell you about bees.  They live in hives.  Oh, hives remind me of this time in my life.  Life is like a box of chocolates.  Speaking of chocolates, many chocolates contain honey.  Now back to how bees make honey....), I think it would center around breakfast foods. 

Speaking of breakfast food, I have a new saying for when someone ruins your day.  It goes as such: "Now, why'd you have to go piss on my waffles?!" 

Because think about what happens if someone did piss on your waffles.  Because of the shape.  And the indentations. 

"Waffles: Notes on Breakfast and Anger-Management".  A work in progress.

No comments: