I just returned from our bazillionth vet visit. Eye-opthamologist visit. I'm very frustrated and sad, because Spencer is very frustrated and sad.
He has this condition called Eosinophilic Keratitis. This basically means that white blood cells, spurred on by the feline herpes-virus (which, surprisingly enough, the majority of cats have, so don't be grossed out), attack his eyes and he develops inflammation, eye ulcers and a whitish plaque that covers the front part of his eye.
We discovered this about six or seven months ago when it attacked his right eye. Luckily for us, the meds worked really quickly and he got better. He just has to take eye-drops three times a week to keep it at bay.
Unfortunately, the condition has spread to his left eye, and this eye is not cooperating. So we've been back and forth to the pet-opthamologist, adding on a variety of meds to kill the virus, reduce inflammation, reduce plaque, get rid of pain. At count we are on one oral med and four different eye-drops. Oh, and a cone around his head so that he doesn't scratch.
This morning Spencer hid under my bed, which he never does, and cats by instinct hide when they're really sick so that they're not vulnerable to predators. Unfortunately I think he thinks I'm the predator, seeing that I'm always armed with something to stick in his eye, or lasso around his neck. He can't clean himself because of the cone, and he can't really play, so he just lays and stares.
The other day on NPR I heard a story about Gulf War vets who are trying to get the feds to legalize the possession of medical marijuana to treat post-traumatic stress disorder. This one guy used to be a bomb-diffuser (think Hurt Locker), and for obvious reasons, cannot cope with residual psychological triggers. He now has a grow-house where he grows different kinds of plants, only he doesn't smoke them, he reduces it to an extract to control dosage and puts it in his hot-chocolate.
Now, I'm not comparing myself to a bomb-diffuser at all, that's preposterous. But after this week, I could do with some pot-chocolate.
P.S. (What's my position on legal med-marijuana? Well, if you've diffused bombs for the United States of America, I think you should be allowed to possess and injest as much pot as you want. Go at it. Live free.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment