Sunday, August 2, 2009

Flying by the seat of my pants.

So I had a bizarre Saturday.

Yesterday my friend Emjoy called me and left me a message saying that Porchlight Music Theatre was doing a last-minute casting call; they needed one female dancer for "The Fantasticks" and she thought that I should submit. I had seen the audition notice and not done anything about it; I haven't done a musical in 9 years so I generally skim over them when I look at casting calls. However, Emjoy seemed to think that I was perfect for it, so I sucked it up and sent in my rezzie.

This morning I awoke to a phone call at 9:30 - the producer was calling to see if I could come in at 4PM for an audition. Unfortunately I had to work, so he asked if I could come in at 10:30 instead. AM. As in, forty minutes from the time of the call.

I've never done an audition that last-minute before - but I got on down there, danced for them, and a half-hour later they offered me the role and asked if I could attend the first rehearsal at 12PM. Um. Okay.

So within two and half hours of waking up on a groggy Saturday morning, I auditioned, was cast, and was at a rehearsal for a show. It was crazy, and it shows how fast things can happen in this business sometimes. Needless to say, I'm grateful for the opportunity - it's a good musical. I play the role of "The Mute" - and I realize by writing this that I'm opening myself up to a myriad of jokes from my brother. "The Mute" is silent throughout the entire show. Hallelujer. I get to really use my dance and movement training, which I haven't had the opportunity to do for a while.

So yes, I will be performing in a musical, without uttering a sound. This autumn. It should be great.

And thanks, Emjoy! It wouldn't have happened without you.

Here's a link to the Porchlight's website with info about the show -
http://www.porchlighttheatre.com/

No comments: