Monday, July 27, 2009

Updates

I haven't written anything lately, and right now I have a lot of summer-time on my hands, so va-va-voom let's go!!

I'm in a pretty upbeat mood right now; I attribute it to my run/yoga today. I've been getting better at running, using a free 5K training podcast I got off of the iTunes store. I don't like to run, so I need a personal trainer telling me exactly what to do otherwise I'll just stop in my tracks and stare at the trees, thinking, "Why...?" Anyhow, this podcast intersperses intervals of running and walking, increasing in difficulty each week for 9 weeks. Or is it 7 weeks? Anyhow, my goal isn't to "finish" the training - it's just to get out there and run two or three times a week, and to see a noticeable improvement in my cardio. So far, so good. Also, with a training podcast I don't need to worry about time or intervals and can focus on relaxing my toes and my shoulders and my thinky-thoughts. It's nice.

I've also been doing quite a bit of yoga. This began after I got out of the hospital. My body had a "talking-to" with me and after the nurse ripped those IV's out of my arm, I was on the search for balance and health. I also made the decision to get my yoga-teacher's certification by fall of next year. Hopefully, in three years I can build a private-teaching business that will support my acting career. I love teaching in the schools, but it's sensory-overload, low-pay, and stressful. Instead I hope to return to the movement training that I specialized in at Ohio State, and to capitalize upon that. It will give me flexibility in scheduling, diversify my income source, enhance my acting-training, and keep me healthy. Anyhow, I practice at home about five days a week, from 20 minutes to an hour and a half, and when I have extra cash I catch a class at my favorite studio, Yogaview Division.

In the meantime I've taken on a third job at Coobah on Southport. I don't get paychecks from St. Matthias during the summer break, so I'm hosting part-time, soon to be serving again. It's a high-end restaurant specializing in Latin-Filipino fusion, with solid clientele and very kind manager and owner. At first I was frustrated to find myself in a restaurant again, but then one of the servers commented on how the economy has been bringing in 40-year old businessmen looking for serving jobs. So instead I choose to be grateful. I plan to keep this job during the school year, work a few nights a week and make some extra dough to throw at my credit cards.

It's nice now, however, during the summer. I work at the restaurant three nights a week and have the days to enjoy the city. Go running, do yoga, read, write fun things, clean the house. And it's nice that I don't need to scramble to get work covered when my agent calls. When I have auditions I can plan my entire days around them, since my schedule is open. So much less stressful, so much more enjoyable. Live it up while it lasts, for when September hits, I'm going to be juggling again.

Anyhow - Thanh and I had a great date-day yesterday. Went down to The Newberry Library book-sale downtown. I was soooo excited, since the Newberry is an amazing place with a great collection, however it was the last day of the sale and all the good stuff was gone. At least we found great parking though, and we took advantage of our spot to walk to Michigan Ave. for a little shopping. Then we drove to Evanston to see "500 Days of Summer". I didn't love it, despite the rave reviews. I could get into why, but then I would be spoiling it for others. I will say that the movie left me oddly morose, so as soon as Thanh and I got home he popped in "High Fidelity" to cleanse us of our sadness. Now that's a great movie! It's like an onion. It keeps on blooming.

Another summer goal: to read Anna Karenina. I just read a book called "Elegance of Hedgehog" (fantastic!) that kept on referencing Anna Karenina, so I figured it's about time to attack that Behemoth of a Book. It will happen.

1 comment:

Ercon said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying your summer and takin' care of yourself. OOh... yoga?? Hmm... so we can have private yoga instruction.. u know the girls like to do yoga too! :) I'll have to ck out the ipod running thing.